Question
Posted by: Sabrina | 2009-11-07

Barlows disease and svt

Hi, I am a 29 year old female, two years ago I was diagnosed
with Barlows disease and svt, both heart conditions. I have been in and out of ICU so many times because my chest starts to ache terribly then I go to the emergency room and at times my heart beats up to 185 or more times a minute.

For the last three days now my chest is aching terribly again, The last three days I feel exhausted, dissy and this terrible chest pain, it feels as if an elephant is sitting on my chest and every now and then it feels like someone stabs my chest with knife.

My GP gave me Lentogesic, he says there is nothing he can do about the Barlows disease or the Svt he says there is no cure and that i shoud take the Lentogesic when I have pain well i have taken them and the pain is only getting worse.

Can this be fixed or is there medication that can really just make
the pain go away. I cant handle it anymore, sometimes I wake up 2 or 3 am with this terrible pain and because I panic from the pain my blood pressure goes up.

I just dont want the pain anymore its been constantly aching now for three days.

Sabrina

I strongly suggest a cardiologist as soon as possible. Please read more about your condition, as it is complex and the SVT is most likely related to the Barlow's disease. Visit the following link for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitral_valve_prolapse

I do not think that the Lentogesic will alleviate your symptoms. A beta blocker is a much better choice in the interim but ultimately, the mitral valve will have to be replaced surgically. The cardiologist will be able to assist in the treatment of your condition after examining you and possible tests have been done.