Question
Posted by: Angelique | 2010/10/13

Barlow syndrome and Ginseng Extract + Ginkgo Biloba

Dear Doc,
I have both Porphyria and Barlow''s syndrome.
1. I bought the “ Bestum 5 in 1 advanced Mulit-nutrient with Proboiotics”  tablets. When I read the ingredients I noted that it contains “ 400mg of Ginseng Extract” . Is this a stimulant, and does it have the same affect as caffeine? I do not want heart palpitations or shortness of breath. Could you please let me know if it would be safe to use.
2. I also have Tinnitus and read that Ginkgo Biloba could help. So I bought the Biogen Ginkgo Biloba tablets witch contains: 100mg Ginko Flavoniod Glycosides (24%) + 300mg Ginkgo Biloba + 100mg Lecithin powder (incl. Phosphatidylcholine &  -serine). Is this also a stimulant? Could this cause any side affects with my heart or Porphyria? I did ask the assistant at Dischem, but she said it should be fine as long as I am not on any blood thinning medication.
I know I should have asked before buying...but I am getting mixed results from internet research....so thought it best to consult you.
Thanking you for your time.
Kind Regards,
Angelique

Hi Angelique
I would rather avoid Ginseng with a Barlows syndrome as it may cause palpitations. Ginko alters the blood platelets and may make blood "thinner" which could lead to bruising and bleeding more easily when you injure yourself. I can't find any proof that ginko is unsafe to use in porphyria.

2
Posted by: Franciske | 2015/07/27

It looks like Ginkgo Biloba helps for my ADD symptoms. I don't have any issues with the thinning of blood etc. I can really focus more clearly since beginning the biogen Gingko capsules.

Reply to Franciske
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/10/13

Hi Angelique