Question
Posted by: Ziana du Plessis | 2011-09-13

Barlow sindrome

What is Barlowsindrome disease? I''m 44 and have been diagnosed 2weeks ago with it. Do I have to see a Cardiologist?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Ziana

Barlow's syndrome (named after Prof John Barlow who was professor of cardiology at Wits) is also known as mitral valve prolapse and refers to a condition in which the mitral valve makes either a clicking noise or a murmur - because the valve leaks - or both.

It is common in young women - usually slim women - and in the vast majority of cases is benign. It is due to a developmental abnormality of the valve which tends to be "floppy" and to leak. The most important complication is a severe leak, but that is uncommon.

Yes, I would see a cardiologist to have the diagnosis confirmed and to have an echocardiogram which will tell you how much the valve leaks - if at all - and what if anything should be done about it. Most likely scenario is that it will never cause you any trouble

JT

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011-09-22

Hi Ziana

JT

Reply to Cardiologist