Posted by: LAURA | 2012-10-31

Good day I hope you can help me. I have two dogs, a golden spaniel and a yorkshire terrier. They sleep in our garden flat in the evenings (from 20h00 till 06h45) because they are more safe there as i hear the thieves poisen the dogs when trying to break in. My husband also doesnt want them to sleep in the house. They dont have a problem with it but recently my yorkie started making these barkish sounds/noises each morning before i open the door for them. At first this was about half past 6 but now he is waking everybody at 05h20! What can I do to make him stop making these sounds because I always open them before 06h45 and i dont want them to sleep outside because it is cold and risky in my eyes?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Laura, this is actually very simple to achieve. when you stand at the door to let them out and the dogs are barking, you are just reinforcing the behaviour i.e. dog barks - you open the door! the behaviour worked, therefore dogs will keep on doing it.
What you do instead is stand at the door, and have your hand on the handle. The second the dogs STOP barking, open the door. Under no circumstances do the open the door if dog is barking.You are now changing the situation around and telling the dogs, with no shouting etc, that the only way they will be let out is when they are quiet. Good luck!