Posted by: Wayne | 2009-05-06

Barking dogs

My neighbours dogs start barking at 5:30 am and continue all day long until well after 8pm. The nieghbours are often home but do nothing to silence the dogs. I am ready to go insane, does anyone know to which authority this can be reported in the Johannesburg area?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

You need to call the noise and air pollution section of the City of Johannesburg, but getting through from the main switchboard is a nightmare (I've just given up after holding on for 30minutes trying to get a direct number! And I got cut off on the emergency number.) I've emailed them and will post their response.

The noise nuisance you describe is not acceptable, but quite hard to prove. It might be helpful to call the SAP and ask them very nicely to send a a patrol car round to verify that the problem is occurring after hours. (They can speak to your neighbours while they're about it.) There are limits to the numbers of dogs one can own in a residential area, so that might be one way to effectively complain.