Posted by: Carrie | 2009-08-07

BARF diet and chicken wings

I have 2 standard wirehaired daxies. I have them on the BARF diet. One of the things that the dogs are supposed to get on the diet is chicken necks or wings. I have been giving them necks without any hitches now for some time. Two days ago I decided to try the wings. The bones are raw, not cooked. Today when walking the dogs they both produced stools with quite large pieces of bone in them. The stool was normal looking with no blood or excess mucous, it just happened to have the big pieces of bone. The dogs look happy and there is no change in behaviour...not even when they passed those bones !! Should I worry about this or not? I am unsure as to whether I should give them any more wings ?

Dear Carrie

It should all be in your BARF book. Passing bones pieces is normal.

Posted by: Carrie | 2009-08-11

Thanks :) yeah the vet who recommended the diet did say it might happen, but really these pieces were no mean feat !! Thanks for your help.

Reply to Carrie