Question
Posted by: MKGay | 2008/05/29

Bareback Sex-Why?

Bareback Sex-So many gay men are open to doing this.Are they not scared of getting infected?Are they scared that they will miss out on having good sex?If you ask them the following question:
With whom would you have bareback sex?
All you get back is "it all depends"-Depend on what?

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi MKGay, welcome to the forum and thanks for an interesting post - this point deserves far more discussion and research.

Often the "depends" is based on what the guy looks like, his age and general hunkiness-quotient. Which is very dangerous as we all know that HIV infects people irrespective of their appearance. Recreational drugs, including alcohol, also play a large part.

Personally I think many guys have developed a fetish around semen - possibly due to the manner in which HIV-prevention has been articulated to and by gay men, and I am convinced that barebacking is often a paradoxical ritual of DENIAL of HIV.

And Vernon'sister - get with the program. It is a reality that both straight and gay people are having sex with anonymous strangers. Instead of judging, let's rather try to understand the underlying processes.

7
Posted by: anon-i-mouse | 2008/05/30

no condom, unprotected.

Reply to anon-i-mouse
Posted by: fairychild | 2008/05/30

what exactly does

bare-back mean?

Reply to fairychild
Posted by: Gareth | 2008/05/29

This will probably open a can of worms for me, but my boyfriend and I never use condoms, we haven't for about 2 years. We are completely monogomous, and we trust each other completely, and we are both very aware and scared of the dangers of sleeping around. So neither of us will risk anything. And we have agreed that if ever something might happen and one of us would fall into cheating (god forbid) or have another encounter, we will at least have he respect for the other person to tell him, as to not risk him as well.

I know you can never know for sure, but I love and trust him enough, that I am willing to take that chance.

Reply to Gareth
Posted by: LONEWOLF | 2008/05/29

Hi Vernon'sister. That is what is and has been going on since many moons ago, more than most would admit. I am not judging anyone, just stating a known fact. It also happens in the straight community. We are all only human in the end, regardless of what anyone or any moral code prescribe.

Reply to LONEWOLF
Posted by: LONEWOLF | 2008/05/29

Yes Apache_boy, it happens a lot and the message of the dangers does not seem to matter in the heat of the moment. I was guilty of it myself, and look where it landed me. I spoke to a friend who became infected recently. He frequented one of the nude bars with the darkrooms etc. and he reports that bareback sex (of course mostly anonymous) still seems to be the norm. He reportedly had numerous encounters over a number of months, all bareback. I also asked him about whether anyone insisted on using a condom, again a negative. Makes you think who to trust?

Reply to LONEWOLF
Posted by: Vernon'sister | 2008/05/29

Now Apache_boy how can you have sex at all with somebody you dont know , bareback or no bareback.

Reply to Vernon'sister
Posted by: Apache_boy | 2008/05/29

Hey MKGay...

I agree, scary isnt it? And totally reckles...

I know lonewolf will have a thing or two to say regarding this, but in my opinion, if you have bareback sex with someone you dont know at all... its your choice if you wanna screw up your life...

And a lot of guys will do the whole bareback sex thing if they and you have just been tested for std's and came back negative... never thinking of the window period possibilities...

Eish... people and the risks they take for fun...

It does seem that you do have your head screwed on the right way in any case...

Hugs n love
A_B
XXX

Reply to Apache_boy