Posted by: Nireni | 2010-01-25

Banned from entering a shop

A friend of mine had a nasty incident at a big chain store on Saturday. She ended up poking the cashier because she was rude to her.
There was no clear instruction as to why she was not allowed to use certain facilities at shop which added to her frustration.
She was banned by management from entering the shop for life even if she had apologized.

Can someone clarify for me if this is acceptable or she could have been given a warning or banned from entering the shop for a certain period?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

All private premises have the right to ban certain people from coming in as long as it is not discriminatory.

Posted by: Trev | 2010-01-25

Your friend is lucky not to have had a criminal charge brought against her [as you cannot simply poke people,even if they are rude to you-that is assault][As far as I know,you are only allowed to use force in self defence,in a life threatening situation,ie where you believe that failure to do so would result in you sustaining grievous bodily harm][not in cases where someone sais something you dont like,or hurts your feelings etc-that is how a child would react,not an adult]-There is such a thing as self control,and shes also lucky not to have a civil/legal suite brought against her.If the employee of the shop was rude to your friend,she should have complained verbally and/or in writing to the management and/or the owners of the business.[Thats the normal and civilised thing to do]
As far as I know,if it is a privately owned shop/business,the owner/designated manager has the right to exercise right of admission,and could barr anyone from enetering the store,if they wish[They dont even have to give a reason if they dont want to][wouldnt always be good puplicity,and may be bad for business]I think your friend has come off lightly,and I wouldnt pursue the matter if I were in her shoes.

Reply to Trev