Question
Posted by: Tammy | 2011/06/14

bank statement to rent property

HI all, is it legal for a landlord to want bank statement from a new tenant? I feel this is not appropriate because it is personal. Why do youwant to know my budget for me to rent you property? (i might be wrong). Your advise would be greatly appreciated.

Expert ImageMoney Expert

Not sure about the legalities of it - but you could always give them a statement with the details blacked out...try to find out why they want the statement. Is it just to confirm your bank account info or do they want to try to ascertain whether or not you can afford the property. At the end of the day, they have the property and you want to rent it so it seems reasonable that they check that you can afford it (and possibly even that you have a good credit record).

1
Posted by: Money Expert | 2011/06/20

Reply to Money Expert