Question
Posted by: mich 32 | 2008/07/29

banana, avocoado vs candidiasis

I suspect I have candidiasis although I' ve not been tested formally, but I' ve been craving sugar and bread and been suffering from acid. What test must I have done? I' m confused whether banana is good or bad for candidiasis. Some web pages say bananas are an excellent probiotic. Others say avoid bananas if you have candidiasis. Also I' d like to know whether avocado is good or bad for candida sufferers.

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

Hi Mich
Regarding tests, I suggest that you consult your GP and try to get to the route cause of your problems.
To my knowledge neither avocado nor banana will affect Candida, both are good for you and can be a good source of PREBIOTICS (not probiotcs). Prebiotics are non-digestible carbohydrates that provide “food” for the so-called good or probiotc bacteria, normally fond in your gut.
Taking a probiotic (I suggest REUTERI, 1 chewable tablet daily) can reduce Candida levels.
If you have a bad overt infection however, you may have to take an anti-fungal to start with, this is where your Dr. will have to advise.