Posted by: Jan | 2009-05-27

Ball of foot fat pad...

My doctor tells me that there is very little fat pad remaining on the ball of my left foot and that I am literally walking on bone...a bone that to compound the problem is quite sharp/pointed. Can you tell me of any treatments that will allow me to walk with less pain.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Jan

Fibro-fatty pad depletion in the forefoot is a common problem, particularly as one gets older. Basically it means that you have less natural cushioning under the foot and that you are walking on the heads of the metatarsal bones. This can cause calluses, corns even stress fractures if left untreated. There is not a lot one can do to reverse this process, what you can do is to make sure you have a lot of cushioning in your shoes, don't walk barefoot and wear socks with extra cushioning. A podiatrist could make you a custom insole to accomodate an unusually shaped bone and give extra cushioning.