Question
Posted by: Concerned mom | 2010-07-28

Balding at 16

My son is 16. He has very thin hair. The problem is that he is going very bald on the top, the temple area and at bottom neck area. He breaks out into a type of angry acne in the bottom neck area when he gets stressed or upset. (He has had previous medication for this but it has not helped.) He is EXTREMLY sensitive about the hair loss. We do not really have early pattern baldness in our families. Can this be normal at such a young age? If not, what is the best way to help him?

Hallo Concerned mom
I think the best thing would be is to get an appointment with a dermatologist for him, as he may have an underlying medical cause, like a fungal infection, low thyroid hormone levels or an autoimmune disease. He also needs to have a look at the acne area as he may need to take antibiotics or roaccutane for a few months to prevent this. Male pattern baldness tend to happen in the front and the crown, not at the temples or back of the head, so this makes me think that there is an underlying problem.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010-07-28

Hallo Concerned mom