Question
Posted by: Linod | 2010/02/08

Balance Breakfast bar

I am trying to lose weight, I have still eat like I always did but have just made my portions smaller and drink about 1.6l water and 1 cup tea and juice with super. I am not big on breakfast and came across this breakfast bar and need your input on it. Its called simply cereal balance breakfast bar - its 96% fat free and high in protein

its a 35g bar but nutri. info per 100g is:

Energy 1309kj  Protein 12.87g  carbs 61.09g  fat 3.83  Dietary fibre 2.75g  Sodium 50mg  Cholestrol Nil.

Ingredients
Glucose, rolled oats, Fruit [12%](RAisin,Apple), soya crisples, golden syrup, soya flakes, corn flakes (maize,sugar,salt,barley malt, emulsifier, soya lecithin) Starch, vegetable oil, crisped rice (rice, flour, sugar, malt extract, vegetable oil, soya lecithin) Ivert sugar, flavourants, acidity regulator

can I use this bar to replace breakfast especially on those mornings that I exercise?

Dear Linod
Adult women who are trying to lose weight require approx. 6300 kJ per day and this energy intake should be spread over your 3 meals (i.e. 2100 kJ per meal). The breakfast bar only supplies 458 kJ, so you either need to eat 2 bars at breakfast or one at breakfast and one a tea time in the morning and also add 1 cup of fat-free yoghurt and a fruit like an apple to your breakfast otherwise you are going to get hungry and overeat at the next meal or develop cravings, esp if you start doing exercise. Otherwise this bar is quite a reasonable choice.
Enjoy

2
Posted by: X | 2010/02/09

The first ingredient (and thus the biggest component of the bar) is pure glucose! Furthermore the bar is way too high in carbohydrates and too low in fat. It will put your bloodsugar levels on a roller coaster ride for the rest of the day. You' ll never loose weight if you eat this first thing in the morning. Rather have a high protein, higher fat breakfast (like bacon and eggs - or a protein shake if you don' t like a heavy breakfast). It' s not all about calories as DietDoc suggests.

Reply to X

Dear Linod
Enjoy