Posted by: Susanna | 2012-11-08

Baker''s Cyst

Dear Cyber Doc
A year ago I had surgery to remove a Baker''s Cyst behind my knee this was a very painful operation. Two months later the cyst was back. As I could not go through another operation I went to my GP and asked him to drain it, it was wonderful for two days but came back.
The cartlidge in my knee is very thin and clearing it is not an option according to my doctor who is keen to do a knee replacement..I am not as I only occasionally have pain in the knee.
Please help.

The Baker Cyst will reoccur, as it fills with fluid. If you do not want it surgically removed, you can ask your doctor to drain the cyst as before. To permanently prevent the cyst, you will have to have another operation. Knee joint replacement is very successful and if your knee cause tremendous pain, it is a good option.