Posted by: Leigh | 2009-02-25

Baked Potaoe from Sandwhich Baron

Hi Diet Doc

I would like to know if the following meal is considered fattening.

I order a baked potatoe from the Sandwhich Baron once or twice a week for lunch, I order it with no butter, chicken strip, Motzearella cheese and a little sweet chillie sauce. I would like to know if this is a fattening meal, I am tring to loose weight and am concerned if this will hamper. On the day I order this potatoe I have 2cakes of weet Bix for breakfast and fish and salade for supper.

Dear Leigh
I don't think that the baked potato with chicken strips and the sweet chilli sauce is going to have a high energy content (baked potato with skin = 456 kJ/100g, grilled chicken strips = 666 kJ/100g, sweet chilli sauce = about 500 kJ/100g - ask the Sandwich Baron to weigh the various items and calculate the energy content). The Mozzarella cheese has a higher energy content of 1178 kJ/100g, but you probably only get a small portion. So if you calculate the total energy content of this meal, and it is less than 2100 kJ then it will not hamper your diet.

Posted by: Angie | 2009-02-25

No of course it’ s not fattening! Carbohydrate is only a problem when your body can’ t deal with sudden release of mono-saccharide (simple sugars) into the blood steam, and as a result high insulin levels force the sugars out into the liver to be stored as glycogen and when the liver cant store more it is stored in the cells as “ temporary fat” .
Here is a good rule for meals  fat + carbs = NO  fat + Protein = OK  Protein + hi-fibre carbs = OK

Reply to Angie
Posted by: Annemarie | 2009-02-25

Not having carbs at night really worked for me. In the day I have good carbs

Reply to Annemarie
Posted by: Leigh | 2009-02-25

I am so confused as to the whole dabate wether to eat starches or not?? Some say you do, others dont! I guess you should do what works for you, and also I try not eat carbs in the evening so I think thats helpfull.

Reply to Leigh
Posted by: Tanya | 2009-02-25

mmmm, as for me i try stay away from starches! Lets here what diet doc has to say though.

Reply to Tanya