Question
Posted by: Lin | 2012/02/09

Baie bang vir swaar weer.

Lisa is 2.6j oud, gekruis staffie &  pitbul, kleur spierwit, sy is ontsettend bang vir swaar weer en wind wat waai. Sy spring teen die agterdeur op en klip op die vensterbanke om in te kom.
Ons laat haar inkom en dan kruip sy weg in die huis en sy klip op die bank om daar te slaap. Wat kan ons doen om haar kalmer te kry. Ek is bang sy spring deur ''n venster as ons nie by huis is nie en beseer haar. Sy is eintlik oor die algemeen ''n bang hond en klad nie kwaai nie. Dankie

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Lin, am so sorry, but my understanding of Afrikaans is very limited due to not being taught in school here when came from Scotland. I think I have got the jist of what you are saying, but if wrong, please do just ask again in English - sorry! I dont blame you for feeling scared that she may go through a window when you are not home and it is windy. Unfortunately, to a dog, this is a very real fear and tends to get worse. Think of it from a human perspective - if you were scared of spiders and had to endure a whole room of them - you too would try to get away!
What I would suggest initially is to supply a place for her outside that she can really cuddle up in if windy and you are not home, or even leave the garage or storeroom open for her while you bring in some modifications. I would also suggest you speak to your vet about some medication and possible the pheromone collar to help calm her down.
The modifications for desensitizing a dog are very long and detailed and I have taken your email address and will send these to you seperately, otherwise I will take up all the space on the site! Spk later this afternoon, thanks Scotty and just prepare a place for her as suggested above in between and speak to vet.

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/02/09

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert