Question
Posted by: Sue | 2012/04/24

Badly behaved 12 yr old

Hi Doc,

My daughter (now 12) was diagnosed by her doctor as having ADHD at age 7 after her class teacher said she was to active. I''ve had her on Strattera for the last 5 years, until the side effects and puberty comined with the oucome being really nasty side effects (anger, depression, suicidal thoughts etc). I''ve weaned her off the medds with medical supervision, and had her re-assesed with a clinicla and educational Psychologist, who has said she does most defintely not have ADHD.
The problem is, my daughter misbehaves in school - is always on the tracking sheet, is cheeky to the teachers and often at the principles office. Threats, punishment and heart to heart chats have not worked. How to I get her to stop the bad behaviour? I think she has used the ADHD handle for a long time to excuse her bad behaviour, but this cant be used anymore.
I dont know what to do next. Please please help!

I think some people, including sadly too many teachers make the lousy assumption that all restlessness at school, and all misbehaviour must be due to SHDH, when this is absolutely definitively not true.
We need to recognize behaviour problems as just that, and enlist the help of a psychologist to devise a CBT or similar style program to re-introduce proper discipline, with good consequences for good behaviour, and unwelcome consequences for bad behaviour.
You're right that "ADHD" is far too easily used as an excuse and a way to avoid taking personal responsibility for bad choces and bad behaviour.
There are, surely, many things she values - TV time, computer access, cell-phone, trips to the mall, visits with friends, and so on - they need to be only available as reqards for consistent good behaviour, and suspended for a set period of time as a result of bad behaviour, with the rules/ the behaviour expected, clearly spelled out with the child, so she has no excuse of saying she didn't understand the rules.

1