Posted by: Sue Ellen | 2009-02-23

Bad year

The last 9 months I went through a really bad patch were things got so bad I never really left the house and stopped working. The scary part is while I was going through it I didn' t realise how bad things were, bad being -my mind frame. It was not a lazy factor. Looking back now, I can hardly remember the year. It took all my energy to do little things like wake up, shower. It put a huge strain on my finances. It feels like I am now starting over with all areas of life, which is fine, but my conifidence took a huge knock. People around me didn' t seem to notice , I must have been on auto pilot.

It feels like I need to learn how to get along and communicate with people all over again. Nothing ' big'  happened to make this happen. What worries me is that this is not the first time it happened, it happened when i was younger as well. I dont really understand why it happens? How can I makse sure it doesn' t happen again. And any advice how I can get my confidence back up, esp work wise, I feel like a lost all my skills- I am really career orientated.

I do however feel a lot better now, against how it was.

I, too, have had a comprehensively lousy year --- it happens, in terms of external events. But you seem to be describing an internal event, and what sounds rather like a possibly severe Depression, which should respond well to medication and CBT counselling. Sometimes in a Depression the depressed mood may be less noticeable to you that the other features, such as you describe. See a good local psychologist or psychiatrist for a proper direct assessment and a discussion of such treatment options