Posted by: Summer | 2009-08-06

Bad tempered cat

Good day cyber vet.

I have a cat who has cerebellar hypoplasia. it is male (my only male cat) and he is about 5 years old. He is also deaf.

My problem is that he is becoming really bad tempered. He insists on chasing my other cats all over the house he scratches and bites them, i eventually have to go get him so that the other cat can get away. If you acceidentally wake him up while he is sleeping he throw a tantrum, screaming at you until you pick him up ( I think he might be getting a fright, being deaf and not being able to hear you coming).

His tounge has also started to hang out again. When i first found him (In a factory) his tounge used to hang out all the time, but it stopped after about 6 months of medication vitamins etc.

His head doesnt wobble anymore (which it did very badly when i found him) except when we have people at the house (my husband claims he does this for sympathy! but i think he just gets so excited trying to see everyone all at once that its like sensory overload).

He also urinates on anything and everything he finds lying on the floor. None of my other cats does this.

Im worried that he is slipping back to the way he used to be. What would you suggest?

Dear Summer

A Feliway diffuser in the house.

Posted by: Summer | 2009-08-07

He is NOT suffering. Thank you for your concern but really he is not suffering. he is not in pain. he is very happy

Reply to Summer

Dear Summer

I' ve had a cat with diabetes which I preferred (out of selfishness!!!) not to put down when I noted she was getting sicker and sicker. Today I' m sorry that I did not accept that she' s sick and put her down. If I were you I would put him to sleep as then he would not have to suffer.

As we say in Afrikaans " Sterkte"  - it is a tough decision to make.