Posted by: Tired Bear | 2009-07-02

Bad Sleeper

I have never been a very good sleeper, in the sence that once my head touches the pillow I am fast asleep but not for long, I wake up at frequant intervals and the last month I woke up at 2 to 3 in the morning and am then unable to get back to sleep. This pattern continues even if I go to bed at 8 the previous evening or at 1 in the morning, I still wake up. I have tried sleeping pills (herbal, no chemical) to no avail. I am not overweight, do not snore, excersice regularly and eat healthy, and am a moderate drinker (red wine only) this is really starting to get to me, I am very tired in the afternoons and struggle to stay awake in the early evenings. Please help!

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Firstly, it is normal to wake a number of times during the night. What is not normal in your case is that you are not getting back to sleep, and you are tired during the day.

One of the most common causes of the problem as you have described it, is a depression. If you think you may be depressed, discuss with your GP about the possibility of going onto something to control that.

If that does not seem to be the problem, you will probably need to see a sleep doctor.