Question
Posted by: Angie | 2009-01-28

Bad service

Doc, why are you not responding on our questions on a daily basis like all the other docs? Your sevice is very bad indeed. What is your problem? I think Health24 needs to get a new Fitness Doc. Please!!!!!!!

HI Angie

Because I'm employed by the University of Cape Town and have to find time over weekends or before or after work to answer these questions, which are done voluntarily.

So I really do apologize, because I try my best to get answers done on time. I'm not sure what contractual arrangement the other experts have, but I do this entirely on the side. And as a result, when my employer demands that certain things get done, I can't put them off. Then, what tends to happen, as has happened in the last week, is that my personal time suddenly gets taken over by a crisis of some sort, and I can't respond right away.

Those reasons are likely meaningless to you, but I do commit to getting answers up at least once a week, with the aim of answering three times a week. That hasn't happened this week, for which I apologize. However, having said that, you are also the beneficiary of a free service, for which you don't pay, and if I might add, you're getting some of the best advice around because Health 24 are recruiting the very best people.

So you can compare this to paying R600 to consult with a coach or trainer, and suddenly the comparison becomes a little more provocative.

However, I do apologize for the delay, I apologize that you've had to wait, and hopefully by now I've returned and answered the previous question.

Ross

10
Posted by: John Doe | 2009-02-02

To O genade

What? How do you hold down a job when you can' t even write a legible or readable sentence.

Tell me, do they have people in Joburg who work for free? And if so, what' s their service like.

Yours is the stupidest argument I' ve heard in a long time. Instead of cutting to the point, you waffle on like an illiterate about the difference in cities. What?

Good luck in Joburg

Reply to John Doe
Posted by: HOW ABOUT THIS | 2009-02-02

GUYS YOU KNOW WHAT SOEM PEOPLE IN LIFE CANT AFFORD THESE OAKS THEY ARE JUST TO EXPENSIVE FOR US TO VISIT AND PAY 600 RAND AN HOUR BUT US ARE ALSO IN NEED OF SOEM GOOD ADVICE FOR FREE.

Reply to HOW ABOUT THIS
Posted by: JAJA | 2009-01-31

I received a response to my query on day 3 which I think is brilliant - thank you Fitnessdoc for answering my question.

In my opinion, Angie, if you need an urgent anwer then this forum is not for you and you should pay to see your own speciliast but good luck there as well as most of them are booked up for weeks in advance.

Reply to JAJA
Posted by: o genade | 2009-01-31

shame how defensive I understand heir jhb the mentality of the peolpe is much diffr. they can work i just love them they dont hide behind knowledge and a free service. for them its about people and feeling good. as you move towards cape town. o dear PE is slow and bad, cape town is known for the slow and careless attitude maybe thats why the ind there is suffering so much. the highest poverty is in CT and isnt the brainy people suppose to lead. guys keep your jobs in cape town and your free service you will get fired here in JHB.

Reply to o genade
Posted by: Fitness Doc Ross Tucker | 2009-01-30

Hi Again

Dropped in on this thread just to check on the response, because obviously I don' t enjoy being " fired"  by a reader or user of the site.

And thanks John and James for the defence, though I can understand why Angie and Fiona would be upset. And I have apologized for the delay, in the hope that you' ll both understand that this site, and answering these questions, while important, cannot be a priority for me.

Just to respond to Fiona, the reason the question after you was answered is down to the system through which I answer the questions. I log onto a secure site and go through the questions one by one. That means I answer in batches, according to days, and the Monday questions were done before yours. Simple as that...

The thing that bothers me is the apparent expectation of immediate service without acknowledgment of the time commitment taken to answer the questions.

But no matter. The questions are answered now, and hopefully I' ll be able to stay on top of them in the future. If not, then don' t worry, Angie, I' ll step aside and you can have immediate answers from my replacement.

Ross

Reply to Fitness Doc Ross Tucker
Posted by: James | 2009-01-30

I second John' s comments.

Angie, get a grip on reality. The service provided by the other experts isn' t as good. You take 5 questions at random from any other forum and compare them to the level of insight and knowledge you' ll find here and you' ll see that this is better (with the possible exception of the DietDoc).

You' re being incredibly rude to suggest that he be replaced - if you' re not careful someone will actually listen to you and the replacement will be enormously inferior.

True, this past week has been slow, but Fitness Doc explained his reason for it, and that' s fine by me. Yet you, little Miss Paris " Give me what i want NOW"  Hilton, have the gall to launch an attack.

Go look up the answer to your question on Google - it' s free, and quick, and that' s the kind of " service"  you seem to value.

James

Reply to James
Posted by: John Doe | 2009-01-30

You' ve gotta be kidding me. I' m amazed that Fitness Doc was so polite with you.

You realise that you' ve speaking to one of the foremost experts on exercise science in the country? You realise that this is the guy who now writes monthly columns for Shape Magazine, Runner' s World, and Sports Illustrated? He was the subject of a feature article in Sports Illustrated in December. The guy who runs the biggest sports science website in the country? He' s employed by the University to manage high performance sports science. He' s been touted as the next Tim Noakes, has coached Paralympic gold medallists and national champions. Has a PhD in the subject.

Pardon the praise-singing, but I follow Ross Tucker' s work in sports science and I came across this post and I think you' re way out of line. " Bad service" , you say...? What do you pay for this service? Nothing, it' s free, the best expertise in the country, and you get it for nothing.

You can wait a week. You can wait a month for all I care. People would do that...

Reply to John Doe
Posted by: Angie | 2009-01-29

He HAS NOT reply. My sister asked a question on my behalf about my knee under her name on the 26 th! Come one!!!!!

Reply to Angie
Posted by: Admin | 2009-01-29

FitnessDoc has replied - see your question

Reply to Admin
Posted by: Fiona | 2009-01-28

I completely agree Angie. I asked a question on Sunday that has not yet been answered, however the person who asked a question AFTER me got a nice long answer.

Reply to Fiona