Posted by: Kelly | 2011-05-01

Bad Quality of Sleep

Hello doc, I am a 24 year old female that has always been one to be constantly tired. I try not to sleep for more than 8 hours anymore, but before I used to be able to sleep for AGES. The problem is that my quality of sleep is very bad. Over the weekend, I will wake up, feed my animals, etc but a couple of hours later (literally 2 or 3 hours) I will be sleeping again. During the week I am still tired but obviously I can''t sleep at work. :) I exercise a LOT (like an hour and a half of walking a day), eat my four meals (I usually eat 2 bananas, an apple or a naartjie for my snack and I try include at least two veggies in my supper, even if it''s tinned). I drink about 2 to 3 cups of tea or coffee a day, the rest is water (about a litre and a half). I know my iron is a bit low, but would that be the reason for my bad quality of sleep?

It sounds like you are living a healthy lifestyle. There are multitude of reasons for your symptoms and I suggest that you consult your doctor for blood tests. A low iron count can cause chronic tiredness and poor quality of sleep but the best option will be to have the blood tests done.