Question
Posted by: Judith | 2008/09/12

Bad nightmares

HI, I keep dreaming that my x is trying to murder me (I divorced him because of mental abuse after 25 years of marriage, then 2 years later he committed suicide - blaming me- this all happened in 2000 and 2002) In my dream I always have a baby in my arms that I have to protect as well. I feel terrified, hopeless and cornered and then wake up, just to go back to sleep and pick up the same dream where I left off. How do I get rid of this dream / the feelings that trigger them?

OK, as he's dead he CANNOT harm you, and that should be a relief. Seeing a counsellor to explore your continuing feelings about this abusive and unpleasant man would be helpful --- you seem to have some psychologically unfinished business. The dream will fade and go when you no longer feel so emotionally enmeshed with him