Posted by: Waseem Salie | 2010-10-08

Bad nasal congestion

Dear Expert

I have a case of really really bad sinus congestion. I have been to see and ENT and had Xrays but nothing could be done for me at the time. I often experience pressure between my eyes and in my forehead and complete nasal blockage. I need fast permanent relief or a fix to my problem.

I am 33 yrs old male. About 3 years ago my GP recommended I use Drixine Nasal spray to relief my cold/flu nasal congestion. This product worked with amazing results and I have never experienced breathing so easily ever before. It was a new world for me. I could breathe 100% and my sense of smell improved dramatically. The downside is I could only use it for 5 days at a time.

Thereafter I have tried several other products: Nasonex, Sterimar, Sinuclear, Euphorbium, Salex, Flizonase, Beclate Aquanase, Illiadin, and my GP even prescribed Prednisone tablets. Nothing works for me except the Drixine Nasal Spray. I have since become addicted to this product and I think I have rebound congestion. But the relief it brings outweighs the irritating rebound symptoms, so I continue to use it daily.

I have a slightly deviated septum in one nostril and my nasal passages are very narrow. I often struggle to breathe and cannot currently live without daily use of Drixine.

Is there any treatment to permanently fix my sinus problem?

Any help or information that can be offered will be appreciated.

Expert ImageSinus Expert

You are definitely addicted to decongestants and suffering from rebound congestion. No medication will cure that. You could however undergo a small procedure whereby the size of your nasal turbinates are reduced to improve patency. Depending on how bad your septal deviation is this might also need to be addressed surgically. Thereafter the underlying cause of the problem, usually allergy needs to be addressed to prevent recurrence

Posted by: WS | 2010-11-13

I finally got some relief again. Been back to my GP and this time I was given much of the same treatment but with more information which was new to me.

The sinus congestion according to my GP is a bacteria which can be beaten with the correct medication and method of using antibiotics and anti-inflammatory. I was given a strong anti-biotic with a course of prednisone and also Flixonase but this time I could also combine that with Drixine. And 5 days later I had full relief of all symptoms.

Previously I was not aware that I could concurrently use the temporary decongestents with the preventative medication. Now I am off drixine and only continue to preventative medication once in a while and occasionally use an anti-histamine in tablet form to subdue the onslaught of hayfever.

Breathing Easy again. Cheers!

Reply to WS