Posted by: JC | 2010-05-31

Bad left ear

Ever since I was very young I have suffered from ear infections. I am now 22 and am still very prone to ear infections. Every time a doctor has seen me they have told me that the scares are very bad in my ear. I have also recently noticed that the hearing in my left ear is not as good anymore and I literally have to -|- my head to one side in order to hear properly in the left ear. Will this get worse or is it simply due to all of the scares?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear JC

You need an ENT examination and possibly an Audiogram to establish your level of hearing loss. Generally scarring to the tympanic membrane, (called tympanosclerosis), does not affect hearing, but if the cause of the hearingloss created the scarring, there may be a link.