Posted by: Worried | 2011-06-08

Bad knees

My knees make a cracking sound when I bend them. If I lift one leg at a time and bend it in the air, the knee seems okay because my weight is not on it. But if I bend both knees when I lower myself, the noise is unpleasant. People who I showed this to reacted with disgust.

I don''t know if it''s the cartilage or if the bones are damaged or misaligned. Yesterday I kneeled down and then I somehow noticed that there was an indentation on my knees. It lasted at least 12 hours until the knees went back to their regular shape. I don''t usually feel pain. Whenever I do, it''s very mild only. It happens mostly when I run or cycle.

I''m turning to you because my ankles are now starting to make the horrid cracking sounds too. I had planned to work out on a regular basis from now on but I''m terrified of damaging my knees as my father has gotten to a stage when he needs a new knee. Our legs have the same shape (long normal thighs, short thin shins, but nothing abnormal as far as I know). His problem was his cartilage got worn out.

Can I avoid going through the same when I''m older? How can I protect my cartilage? How can I exercise without damaging my knees?

I can''t remember when this started because I''ve only paid attention to it 3 or 4 years ago, when I was just over 20 years old. It was the same time when I became a vegetarian. I late went back to eating meat but last year I stopped again. I only eat dairy and eggs now.

I''m thin and active.

If you could give me some advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

It is important to consult an orthopaedic surgeon for x-rays and a possible CT scan of your knees and ankles. Any possible causes for your symptoms have to be examined, in order to start treatment. Physiotherapy can assist with strenghtening your muscles supporting the knee joints. Stronger muscles, equals more support.