Question
Posted by: Hells | 2012-06-26

Bad Headache over 24 hours

I had a bad headache yesterday, went home lay down, it got suddenly worse (like a thunderclap) vomitted went to bed covered head as very light sensitive and made me feel nauseaus. Took headache pills. 3 hours later headache manageable. Went to bed in evening headache returning, took some Myprodol it got worse, this morning still there but manageable, now it has intensified and I am feeling slightly disorientated. Should I go to the doctor? I don''t normally get migraines.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Hells,

People suffering with headaches such as you have described, and particularly a new headache, must have a proper medical assessment, which should include a neurological examination. The reason for this is to make absolutely certain that there is not some serious or life threatening underlying medical condition causing the headaches. Although this is uncommon, it is essential to exclude this possibility before doing anything else.

Once this has been done, then the next part of the investigation is started. The correct way to deal with the problem is to have a proper diagnosis of the underlying causes of the headache. If these are treated, the headaches no longer occur, and it is no longer necessary to rely on potentially harmful “rescue” medication.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary” assessment. There are many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, and no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, the combined the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, are co-ordinated into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables a more comprehensive treatment plan, in which all the contributing factors are addressed. This assessment must include examination to determine the presence of tension in the head and neck muscles.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).

4
Posted by: joseph matebane | 2012-09-08

i have been having a bad headache for three days now its so bad even my eyes are affected in a medical opinion on what to buy or where to go and get help.

Reply to joseph matebane
Posted by: joseph matebane | 2012-09-08

Reply to joseph matebane
Posted by: Unathi | 2012-07-23

been having headache for 2 weeks, it''s worse in the morning and my eyes are sentive to light. i have been taking some pain tables but then the pain comes back after couple of hours.it feels leven worse when i bend my head ti pock up something. this is my first time experiencing this.

Reply to Unathi
Posted by: Headache expert | 2012-06-26

Dear Hells,

Reply to Headache expert