Question
Posted by: Pencil | 2011/07/01

Bad Feelings

Hi Doc, help please. I have been on cylift 20 mg for 10 years now. Two years ago I caught my husband cheating then last year my daughter let me know that she was positive. I dealt with everything well up until now, I have have very strong urges to harm myself which would hurt everybody around me enormously. I unfortunately do not have a friend close by to whom I can speak about this. I would feel rather foolish going to my GP and sayting I want to commit suicide. I just need some sort of support. I just dont know what to do.

There is nothing foolish about you, and no GGP worth a cent would think anything the less of you for discussing your severe depression and suicidal thoughts. If your treatment thus far has been entirely by GP, it's about time you saw a good local psychiatrist for a re-assessment of your condition and treatment.
Two people you loved and cared for, have behaved foolishly and dangerously, but none of that is your fault, and nothing reduces your right and need to continue living, to find new meanings and pleasures in life, and to be available, IF you should so choose, to help and support your daughter.
As maria says, call Lifeline and SADAG, and arrange with your GP to see a good local psychiatrist for further help. You deserve it, and will before much longer, be enjoying the benefits of doing so.

2
Posted by: Maria | 2011/07/01

You can call Lifeline: 0861 322 322 or Depression and Anxiety Group helpline: 8am-8pm (011) 262-6396 for someone to speak to. Has your gp been prescribing the Cilift? It would be really helpful for you to see a psychiatrist for a full assessment. As we age and our bodies change, the effect of a certain medication also changes, not to mention the impact of serious life events. In the interim, please do go and see your gp. I promise you it will not be the first time a patient tells him / her about urges to harm herself, and you deserve to get the help and support that you need. Take care.

Reply to Maria