Posted by: scarface | 2008-10-31

bad face skin

doc, I have had acne for as longas I can remember. Have been on roacuttane on and off so much so my joints are giving problems.
My acne has cleared except for the odd pimples now and than. I am 47 and my skin has been hammered by the sun. Add to that the acne scars - I am not exactly Mr Supercute.

I have an engineering degree and I am very well off. I have an above average build.
Because of my skin I have gone into a hermit type existence. I avoid people. I have a girlfriend for 2 years now. Yet I am still uncomfortable in her company.It is coming to the point that I try and avoid her because of my self image.

Is there hope for me and is appearance really that important - it seems to me like that. I went for some laser treatment and it left my skin pigmented for a long time after

Its never quite clear why some people are so much more severely affected by acne, nor for so long, and its certainly a misfortune. And one needs to be cautious as Roccutane can be associated with a severe depression. Only a fool loves or even likes someone because they are physically cute --- it IS the inner person that matters in the long term. It sounds as though it may be more now an issue of psychological and social scars from the really bad times with your acne, that are handicapping you. Good counselling, especially of the Cognitive-Bheaviour Therapy form ( CBT ) is most likely to help you revise these negative habits of thought and behaviour, enhance your self-esteem and confidence, and find ways to enjoy like far more