Question
Posted by: Cherrie | 2008/09/06

Bad experience in hospital

Hi Doc. I had a very bad experience in hospital last month.I had a back operation done and had to spend one night in I.C.U.After which I was transfered into the ward upstairs. I started feeling really bad and started swelling in myface, my hands went cold and I was in such pain. The sister came and did the nesseccary observations but could not find anything wrong, After about 2 hours everytime I lifed up my legs to try and relieve the pain, it just got worse.I eventually asked one of the staff nurses to have a look to see if my Urine bag was full and she said she could not find it, I said"  it is here as I have the catheter fitted and I am in such pain.When she found the bag it was under my pillow under my legs and it was so full that the urine was running back up the catheter and into my kidneys I am sure, as when she emptied the bag the pain subsided, however 3 days later I ended up with a very bad bladder infection. pls can u help me as I have had the MRI Scan done and it indicated that I had several cysts on the kidneys, can/could this have done any further damage and should I take the matter up with my doctor. I am so scared as I have to undergo another operation on my spine this Tuesday and I have to attend the same hospital and I am petrified that this will happen again.Could this cause any future problems pls help.

Dear Cherrie

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

I suggest that you discuss this with your doctor, in order for him/her to get an opinion from a urologist.