Question
Posted by: Kate | 2011/04/11

Bad Dreams On Back

Hi CS!
Just wanted to know why if you sleep on you back you get nightmares… 
I never believed this was actually true until I monitored it myself.
Last night I had the most horrible dreams, when I awoke I was on my back. While I’ m in this dream It’ s really just too bad. When I wake in the morning I’ m still tired.
How do I prevent myself from going onto my back during my sleep? And why is it that sleeping on your back brings bad dreams?

Nightmares and simply bad dreams occur naturally and more often than we realize ( only if they waken us do we tend to be aware of them ). And they have nothing usually to do with sleeping posture, such as sleeping on one's back.
The only relevant connection I can think of might be Sleep Apnoea, which causes disturbed sleep and waking tired ( though there are many other causes of this situation ). In sleep apnoea one actually stops breathing, briefly, and might wake feeling panicky and scared, without any specific recall of a perticular bad dream.
If you sleep alone, it may be harder to identify, but if you sleep with anyone in your bed or room, they may report that periodically you snore loudly, along with periods of silence when they can't hear you breathing.
Only a careful assessment by a physician interested in such conditions may recognize and diagnose it, and then there are treatments that help, including losing weight, if one is over-weight.

2
Posted by: anon | 2011/04/16

Monitor what you eat before you go to bed. High carb foods or high glucose foods can cause nightmares. Keep a food journal. Do not go to bed straight after eating a heavy meal.

Reply to anon