Question
Posted by: Stephanie | 2012/05/25

Bad dream

I had a really nasty dream last night and woke up in tears this morning. I dreamt that an acquaintance (formerly good friend) who lives in Australia died, but all I saw was his picture, a wooden cross and a white arum lily. I We had a fallout some time ago and did not resolve out differences, but chose to end our friendship. It has been bothering me for a while, but I have resigned myself to the fact that we will not be friends again, then I have this awful dream. It felt so real - me standing looking at his picture, the cross and the flower. I sent him a text message this morning to enquire about his wellbeing and thankfully my dream was just that, a bad dream! Why do we have such dreams? Could you shed any light on that?? Thanks CS!

Individual bad dreams usually mean nothing at all, though of course they can be really distressing and alarming. They're more likely to be due to an overdose of pizza than any actual warning of something bad happening ( though, by sheer chance, ocasionally a nasty dream seems to match events in real life.
You remark that you have actually been worrying about this person, and the end of your friendship, for some while, and this is probably what was reflected in your dream. Where dreams fo approximate to real life as in this way, then exactly as your experience illustrates, they're a dramatic way of reflecting our current concerns and worries.

1