Question
Posted by: George | 2008/10/05

BAD cholestherol

Where would I be able to get a diet, my husband' s bad cholesterol is very high and we want to get it down quick.
I have also heard that soda water is good for getting cholesterol down, is this true and how safe is drinking soda water everyday?

Dear George
Reducing blood cholesterol levels, particularly LDL-cholesterol does not happen overnight. It will take awhile. If your hubby suffers from high cholesterol, then he would need to lower his intakes of total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol. To lower his cholesterol levels basically he will have to eat a diet that is low in total fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol, and high in dietary fibre and protective nutrients - this entails eating plenty of fruit and vegetables, low-fat milk and dairy products, very lean meat, fish, only 4 eggs per week and only mono- or polyunsaturated margarine or oil (this is where you can use olive oil in normal quantities). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet - if he does not need to lose any weight, he can use larger portions of the permitted foods, but should otherwise stick to the portion sizes. You need to check the foods you buy in the supermarket - compare the total fat content of say standard Vienna sausages and that of Low-fat or Lean Viennas - if the latter still contain more than 5g of fat per 100g, then it is better to avoid them. Rather use less processed food, e.g. cook chicken without skin and without added fat (grill or boil in a stew), to have greater control of the fat content than when you eat processed foods. He can also use omega-3 fatty acids (Salmon oil capsules - buy at chemist) to reduce blood cholesterol and try Flora pro-activ which contains plant sterols to lower blood cholesterol (most supermarkets sell this type of margarine). For additional articles, click on 'Diet' and 'You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy Heart' section. If he requires a specific diet to be worked out for him, then I would recommend that he should consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).
Drinking soda water will not lower cholesterol, but it is a good alternative to cold drinks which are high in energy and can cause weight gain. Soda water can be drunk every day.