Posted by: Nozibele | 2010-11-22

Bad breath and chronic tonsillitis

I had a severe case of tonsillitis  sore throat, white stones, pain and bad breath. I had the tonsils removed two years ago, after which the bad breath and pain went away for about a week before they returned. I now have swollen glands some hard, the bad breath seems to be getting worse and the pain is unbearable. My doctor prescribed a course of antibiotics for upper respiratory tract infections, which seemed to control the condition for a few days before it returned. I have done X Rays, Ultra -sound scan, RMI scan but they all came out clear, which is confucing as the pain and everything else is still there. Please help.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Nozibele

Make sure your tests have been evaluated by an ENT surgeon. I am unsure as to the nature of your complaint, as removing the tonsils have clearly not sorted the problem. A possibility is that the Lingual tonsils are playing a role in this case, as these tonsils at the back of the tongue and are generally not removed during a standard tonsillectomy. Swollen glands for an extended period of time is abnormal, and a cause should be found, your MRI scan should give valuable information in this regard. If all this is negative, I suggest the opinion of a physician, as systemic causes should be excluded, such as Diabetes. Discuss this with your ENT, as the symptoms are clearly causing you distress.