Posted by: Moomin | 2009-03-01

Bad behaviour

I have a almost2 year old dutchhound, we was good until about 4 months ago, nothing new happend and no new pets got in, the cat i have was about a year ago.
I live in a guesthouse, so she get showerd with love from everyone all day, me to, she skeeps in the bed, have toys and everything.
Now she started the phoo and Whee inside the house on the beds, wich are pure white and everywhere she can, even though she has 5 exits the outside all of them she know well.
It happens daily, i woudnt even know she have done it but then she comes to me and when i try to touch here she wets herself from beinge scared, she knows shes been naughty and are goinge the get a hiding, WHY does she keep doinge it, and at this stage she is affraid of me, and it broken my heart, but how do i taught her, locking her outside doesnt help, the moment she enters she will do her thing inside

I do not live near any dog school,so please help me

Dear Moomin

I would slowly allow her back into the house in just a very small area to start with. If she behaves then you can slowly introduce her to the rest. Buy lots of footsack and spray this if she uses a certain area to do her thing. Something may be causing a lot of stress that you are unaware of. A DAP Diffuser and spray can help to settle her back into her routine.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-03-01

It' s probably all her unhappiness and insecurity coming out.

When she' s been outside for a while and you go to let her in, I suggest that you go outside wiTH her, and walk around on the grass, or wherever you want her to go, and wait for her to widdle, so that you can praise her - and then you' ll also know that she has ' been'  and won' t need to go again for a while. During this time, just walk around calmly and slowly, and tell her ' go and widdle'  (or whatever phrase you want to use) for a while - don' t play with her or make her excited, until after she has widdled.

You will have to win her trust back again - don' t worry, she' ll soon learn that you aren' t going to be ' nasty'  to her any more!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: moomin | 2009-03-01

Thank you so much,for the information given,I will try it immediatley,

The other thing is that i do put her outside and leave her there for few hours, but the moment she comes from outside to the inside she do her busnisse right inside the house less than 30cm from the open door.

You are right at this stahge she is very unhappy and doesnt want to come near me, from me hitting her,every time she does it.

I would just like to understand why it started to happen now, and before there was no problem, she was sterilized. when she was 6 months.

As i explained i do live in a guest house ,and everything is open,i cannot keep doors closed, the place will look dark and dull, The reason for her doinge her busnisse ON the beds are a mystery.

Reply to moomin
Posted by: Chill | 2009-03-01

The first thing you need to know is that giving a dog a hiding is not going to help, and it will in fact make things worse. The way a dog works is that if it does something wrong, you say ' no!'  and then you ignore it, and if it does something right, you make a BIG BIG fuss and tell her how clever she is - in other words, you reward good behaviour.

What is happening now is that she thinks she is being punished for weeing or pooing - that is not the problem, the problem is that she is doing it in the wrong place, and this is what she needs to be helped to understand.

There could be another problem, which is that if too many people are telling her what to do and what not to do, and using their own ' methods' , then she could be getting very confused.

So, you have to watch her carefully, and you need to try to anticipate when she must go outside, and take her there, and then PRAISE her if she does her business out there. This may take a while, but she needs to learn to understand this again.

In the meantime, you could try to prevent her from having access to places where she must not widdle, when you are not there to supervise her. Please don' t hit her, you are going to end up with a very insecure and stressed dog, who does not know why you are so unhappy with her.

You might like to read the section on ' house training'  in the column on the right, this has been discussed a lot of times before, and you will find good advice there.

By the way, it' s ' dachshund' , not ' dutchhound' . This breed was bred for hunting badgers, which is what ' dachs'  means in German - that' s why they are so small, that they can get into the badger' s burrows underground.

Reply to Chill