Posted by: Coenie | 2009-03-05

Bacteria with sugar food, is it possible

Foods/Sweets Past Expiry date:

In Somerset West, Cape Town where I live I wanted to give my children a little snack at to eat on the 4th March 2009. I was in the “ 5 Rand Store”  in Main Road. When in the car, my wife and I noticed that the sweets where three months past the expiry date and they are still happy selling it.

I contacted my local provincial health department and Lisa Grobberlaar told me that there is no bylaw that stipulates goods past expiry date and they can’ t do anything about this.

How can they sell this to children? I want to contact the South African National Health department and need to tell them to create a bylaw that food past expiry date should be removed by the local Health Department Officials.

My questions:
1. What are the health risks for sweets being held past expiry date since bacteria doesn' t show up in high sugar/salt environments?
2. What are the dangers in keeping and selling food/sweets after expiry date?
3. How long after expiry date is there now danger of food poisoning and would you recommend them have it removed from the shelf' s?

Please note: These shops sell good from China. So it who knows where it comes from and how long it' s been breading and sitting on the shelf.

Please help me?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Coenie

I'm afraid I don't know how to answer your question, this is forum is for foot related problems, I suggest you contact a dietitian.