advertisement
Question
Posted by: Beverley | 2012/04/15

Bacteria

Can bacteria survive microwaves (as in microwave oven)?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

It's the heating effect of microwaves that kill bacteria, not the microwaves themselves. Whether bacteria survive depends on how long you heat your food and at what temperature. The core temperature of cooked food should be at least 60 degrees C. Higher (70 - 75 degrees C) is safer, especially if you've just reheated an item for a couple of minutes. With microwave ovens, it's important to make sure food is evenly cooked. Remember that if food has already gone off, it will likely contain toxins produced by microbes in the food, and these can still remain in the food and make you sick even if you heat it and kill the microbes.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

2
Our users say:
Posted by: Kettles | 2012/08/02

Could you please advise if plastic kettles are bad for your health and if so what type of kettle is the best? Thanks

Reply to Kettles
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2012/04/16

It's the heating effect of microwaves that kill bacteria, not the microwaves themselves. Whether bacteria survive depends on how long you heat your food and at what temperature. The core temperature of cooked food should be at least 60 degrees C. Higher (70 - 75 degrees C) is safer, especially if you've just reheated an item for a couple of minutes. With microwave ovens, it's important to make sure food is evenly cooked. Remember that if food has already gone off, it will likely contain toxins produced by microbes in the food, and these can still remain in the food and make you sick even if you heat it and kill the microbes.

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
advertisement