Question
Posted by: Purple Rain | 2009/10/24

Baclofen for Anxiety

My daughter is 22 years old and in her 4th year of studies at varsity. She suffers from anxiety. It runs in the family as my mother has also suffered similarly. During her second and third year, my daughter saw a psychologist and has been using an antidepressant for the anxiety (recommended by psychologist). It has not been very helpful, as, at times, she still suffers severely of anxiety - so much so that it affects her normal functioning (for short periods of time). I have read about the effect of Baclofen on anxiety and was wondering whether it would be worth a try. I really want to help and support my daughter, but I feel very helpless with this condition. Please help!

Two forms of treatment are shown by good research to be effective in treating anxiety - medications also used to treat Depression, and Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ). If the psychologist is using any other form of talking therapy but CBT, and especially if they're using the out-dated and ineffective psychoanalytic or just generally shapeless psychotherapy, then its not likely to be of any value. ONLY CBT has good evidence of effectiveness in treating Anxiety.
Baclofen is ABSOLUTELY NOT AT ALL used for the treatment of Anxiety - it is a treatment for muscle spasm and spasticity, and not meant for anxiety at all.

1