Posted by: Astrid | 2009-04-30

Is there any doctor in SA who has used or studied the success of using Baclofen (Lioresal) for Drug Adiction . My young son of 16 years is a recovering LSD Addict he is clean for 4 months now but he cannot sleep and is very depressed. I have currently put him on Lioresal 10mgram a day due to an article that I read in the You Magizine of a Doctor who used this table to treat his addiction. I am aware of cocaine addicts being treated with this drug but not LSD and I am wondering if there is any history of LSD addicts (track record) ?

Dear Astrid
I could not find any medical article on the treatment of LSD addiction with baclofen. There are studies on treating cocaine and alcohol addiction, but these are also not yet proven. He may however need psychiatric medication to treat his depression and insomnia as soon as possible. Please ask your GP to refer him to a psychiatrist. Psychiatrists may know about latest developments with Baclofen too.