Posted by: Melbalina | 2008-11-18

Backyard Breeder

Hi all. You might remember a few weeks back, I wrote a post about my neighbour' s sausage dog that had her second litter (10 puppies). Well, puppies are now 8 weeks old, she hasn' t found them homes, albeit one that I know of, and is dragging her feet about taking them in to Darg.

I convinced her to go this route because she wanted to sell them to a pet shop! My patience has now run out with them, as I know they can afford the fee to Darg for handing over the dogs for their vaccinations and deworming etc (which, by the way, has still not been done!!!) - since they recently ordered R900 worth of Christmas lights!!.

As I cannot trust anything she tells me as being the truth (since I' ve caught her out on so many lies now), I don' t know if she is embarrassed to hand them in, doesn' t want to spend the money, or that she doesn' t want them to see her other male, unneutered dogs, or is selling the puppies to people (as she told me last week she has rehomed three of the pups now - whether or not this is true, I don' t know).

I am desperate to get them away, as well as the mother, as she is very undernourished (and I found out last week she is only 1 years old!!!!!), and my neighbour advised Darg she would hand the mother over to them as well. Darg phoned them yesterday to say they could come over to fetch the pupps (and we live an hour' s drive away from Darg), but she told them she wasn' t at home (which I know is rubbish, as she is always home, due to not having transport - although she assured me that a friend could take them).

Does anyone have any advice on what legal grounds I have to confiscate these dogs from her, or get someone to do this please? What classifies someone as a backyard breeder?

I am planning a surprise visit after work today, to do a head count, and to ask her why the pupps are still there.

Dear Melbalina

A charity like Darg is the best way forward. They usuallyt have good legal backing.

Posted by: Melbalina | 2008-11-19

Hi all. Last night, I visited my neighbour, who agreed on a time today for the puppies and the mom to be fetched. I am very happy to report that Darg collected them today, of which four are already on their way to a new home. Many thanks to Darg!

Reply to Melbalina
Posted by: mish | 2008-11-19

there is a place called animalambulance that takes care of abused animals.. just go to there website wwwdotanimalamulancedotcom and report it the lady incharge there will go fetch the animals and take good care of them

Reply to mish
Posted by: woof woof | 2008-11-19

from backyard breeding to backyard brawling - all in a days work!! silly bitches

Reply to woof woof
Posted by: Chivaz' s mom | 2008-11-18

think you pulled my remark out of llink sweetness...nothing was meant by this. i simply asked if you sit and watch this people every day knowing their ever move and what happens over the ' vibe' ... freaky...interesting!!!

call SPCA or Anti Cruelty...they are PRO' s in dealing with this.....

Reply to Chivaz&#39 s mom
Posted by: Melbalina | 2008-11-18

Thank you Cybervet and Acineth for your support.

To Anon and Chivaz' s mom - I can only hope one day both your eyes open a little wider. Ignorance and selfishness are two truly debilitating traits.

Reply to Melbalina
Posted by: Acineth | 2008-11-18

To Anon and chivaz' s mom.

Dog abuse like child abuse is everybodies business. If more people paid attention and tried to do something, both problems would become smaller. Evil flourishes when people do nothing.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: Chivaz' s mom | 2008-11-18

do you actually sit and watch these people every day!!!!!

Reply to Chivaz&#39 s mom
Posted by: Anon | 2008-11-18

It has nothing to do with you in the first place, leave her alone they are her dogs.