Posted by: Gillian | 2010-04-09

Dear Doc

I have a 20 month baby girl who is quite heavy - 17.5kg. She has been big since birth. At her age now, she is extremely clingy and I have to pick her up and carry her around on my hip (right side). I try not to do this all the time as I know that this puts extra pressure and stress on my hip and back and muscles. For the last 2 days when sitting or lying down, I have numbness on my right side of my body - from my lower back/buttocks which radiates down my leg to my knee. This I assume is from carrying my baby. My question is that could this merely be a muscle that is strained or should I have it checked out? It is really annoying. Thank you.

It can merely be a muscle that has strained and I suggest that you consult a physiotherapist to assist you with the muscle pain. You can use Myprodol, two capsules, every six to eight hours.