Question
Posted by: Sunshine | 2010/08/10

Back Spasms - extreme pain

I have had mechanical back pain since last year. I have had a MRI which only picked up that there is Disc desiccation L2/3 adn L3/L4, Disc space heights preserved. No significant facet jount arhrosis and no evidence of annular tear.No evidence of neurological deficit, Minor degenerative changes on Lumbar spinal MRI. The Neurologist said I must continue with OPD physiotherapy which I have done and then after start with back classes, which are the same exercises they have given me. I have been doing the exercises and I started to take Caltrate Plus with the medication that was prescriped, diazepam, spasmed, synap forte. which I don''t understand is my muscles in my back is getting weeker or it feels like it. I can type for a while then I feel pain shooting into my arms and my back is killing me. I am sitting in a good posture and I don''t sit for too long I get up take a walk to the otherside of the building and back. I feel like the doctors think that there is nothing wrong with me but why do I have so much pain. Can you please assist me.

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

Dear Sunshine,

I have sympathy for your complaint. You must realise that all the investigations do not replace a good physical examination by a physician. You should consult an orthopedic spinal specialist. There are things they can do for the pain you are experiencing including "facet blocks" etc.

1
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2010/08/19

Dear Sunshine,

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum