Question
Posted by: Reggy | 2010-06-30

BACK SINUS

My two and half year daughter has been on asthma treatment since when she was one year old, but now she has been coughing since last year, she has been on medication none stop, in May I went to see an ENT specialist and explained that after she got the antibiotics and many cough syrups she gets better for about a week and starts to cough again but only at night, the cough is so bad that it is very difficult for her to sleep, as she coughs her lungs out and after few days the chest becomes blocked and she then starts to cough even during the day. The doctor examined her and said she has back sinus and when she is asleep the back sinus drops liquid into the throat, which is like fire and the liquid drops are like petrol, which then causes her to cough especially at night, the doc then recommended an operation to flush our the sinus and throat, my husband was against it but I managed to convince him, but when my daughter went for the op the anesthetic specialist turned her back saying her cough was bad and she was asthmatic, as a result it was risky to perform the op, my husband asked the doctor to give us another alternative as he didn’ t want our daughter to be operated. The doc prescribed a spray called Nasacor Spray it helped her for about 3 weeks but she has now started coughing again at night. I will like to have your opinion on this condition and what is the best way to solve it, right now I am confused.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Reggy

In your daughter's case she does not have fully developed sinusses, as this happens up to the age of twelve years. Children of this age have small maxillary sinusses, and they are usually filled with mucous at this stage. The "back" sinus could possibly refer to the sfenoid sinus, and this is also very small in a two year old. Sinus surgery is only limited in this agegroup to perhaps a sinus washout, but generally the effect is limited, and the solution not longterm. You should evalute her position again with your ENT and Paediatrician, in order to find a longterm solution.
It may be that you should change her nasal spray, and that her asthma medication needs adjustment, as uncontrolled asthma could be the cause of her coughing.
I agree that surgery at this stage is not advisable so a more conservative approach may be indicated at present.
Surgery should only be the last resort.