Posted by: Reggy | 2010-06-30

My two and half year daughter has been on asthma treatment since when she was one year old, but now she has been coughing since last year, she has been on medication none stop, in May I went to see an ENT specialist and explained that after she got the antibiotics and many cough syrups she gets better for about a week and starts to cough again but only at night, the cough is so bad that it is very difficult for her to sleep, as she coughs her lungs out and after few days the chest becomes blocked and she then starts to cough even during the day. The doctor examined her and said she has back sinus and when she is asleep the back sinus drops liquid into the throat, which is like fire and the liquid drops are like petrol, which then causes her to cough especially at night, the doc then recommended an operation to flush our the sinus and throat, my husband was against it but I managed to convince him, but when my daughter went for the op the anesthetic specialist turned her back saying her cough was bad and she was asthmatic, as a result it was risky to perform the op, my husband asked the doctor to give us another alternative as he didn’ t want our daughter to be operated. The doc prescribed a spray called Nasacor Spray it helped her for about 3 weeks but she has now started coughing again at night. I will like to have your opinion on this condition and what is the best way to solve it, right now I am confused.

Expert ImageSinus Expert

Both asthma and post nasal drip can cause nightly coughing. These two are often seen in combination as well, this makes treatment difficult. A sinus rinse is not the primary treatment option but the last resort if nothing else has worked. The problem with a rinse is that is frequently gives only temporary relief, but might help to give the other medications a kickstart. It seems as though your child does suffer from asthma and rinosinusitis. If her nose is treated the asthma will also control better. Therefor I would recommend combination of asthma sprays, nasal corticosteroid sprays(like Nasacor) and possible singulair. If the nasal discharge is pussy antibiotics is indicated. When all else fail, a rinse is the last alternative.

Posted by: Reggy | 2010-07-21

G-Dad thank you very much for this info, I am sure it will assist, write now I am very depressed because my girl is constantly sick.

Reply to Reggy
Posted by: G-Dad | 2010-07-06

My kids were both asthmatic at that age, I found that their diet is important, no color cool drinks, only clear juices and drinks, like apple juice sprite ect, I have also tried everything, my daughter had a chronic cough and nothing helped, a doctor that specialise in allergies in Benoni helped her and since then they seem to have outgrown most of their problems, but red cool drinks is very dangerous for asthma, my brother also never listened to me, and every time his boy had red cool drink they had to rush him to hospital because he could not breathe, I simply took him to a bathroom, open the hot water and waited, when they realised their child was not in bed anymore his chest has cleared up from the steam, they still took him to hospital only to be told by the casualty doctors that his chest is clear and there is nothing they can do, since then this boy''s asthma has cleared as well.

I my daughter started with her chronic cough I found boiling an old kettle or electric frying pan in a small area like a bathroom make a huge difference, never do this unsupervised and keep the kids away from the boiling water, the safer method would be to use a hot steam humidifier not the cold steam, in the bedroom out of reach from the children.

The corticosteroid sprays help, but when the nose is completely blocked use a dripper and luke warm water mixed with a half spoon of salt and drip the water in their nose and then teach them to blow out the mucus, it works as well, but I found the steam in a small area to be the most effective, you steam the room and sit with them until you can see the mucus running from their noses then they can blow their nose and it could let them breathe without coughing for most of the night if not all night, stay away from medicine that dry up the mucus it only make it worse, the mucus become thick.

Back sinus is better known as post nasal drip, I also suffer from it too, in most cases it is caused by allergies, but there are a lot of other causes as well.

Note use steam with caution as it could burn the kids, never let them get near the boiling kettle or frying pan.

Reply to G-Dad