Posted by: CJ | 2009-01-29

back problems

hi doc, recently i been told that only a few of my vertebras are still as they should be and that the ' spungy'  parts between them are wearing thin ...i am only 22 and almost any excersise kills me the next day! (mainly lowerback) this is a problem as i am very health conscience. I want to know wat the outcome will be if the ' spungy'  parts completely wear themselves out?? and wat I can do to try prevent further problems
thnx CJ

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear CJ
What it basically means it that the wear and tear changes most of us experience as we get older, have already started with you- this can be as a result of the type of exercise and physical activity we do. Remember that high impact aerobics and jogging is not good for the back when you already have this degree of degeneration. Walking, swimming and exercise like Pilates is good. You can also try taking chondroitin and glucosamine supplements- ask your pharmacist about this.