Posted by: sisi | 2012-01-13

back pain(Uper body) with sweating

My mom is 57 years of age and she has back pain and she sweats a lot what could this be ?

The excessive sweating can be due to pain. It is essential that she consults her doctor for an examination, blood tests and x-rays of her back. An abdominal ultrasound should also be considered, to exclude gallstones and kidneystones.

Posted by: Anne | 2012-01-17

Is your mom overweight? She most definitely sounds like in the age group so it could be menopausal symptoms of hot flushes/sweating unless she has some other underlying health condition.

Does she suffer from diabetes? Any heart problems? When did she go for a full health check up?

She should get her back investigated and perhaps see a physio for some treatments.

Stretching can help the back and doing pilates, any core muscle strengthening exercises which will tone and tighten the core muscles and prevent backache.

Good comfortable walking shoes and sleeping with a pillow under her knees or between her knees if she sleeps on her side will help.

Using a hot pad for the painful back.

Using voltaren gel or arnica or one of the muscle freeze sprays from the pharmacy gives relief too.

Transact Plasters can also give relief applied to that area. You leave it on for 12 hours then replace them.

Ngwanakgau you should post your question on a separate new post for Cyberdoc for her to reply.

How tall are you? If you are fairly tall then 70,3kg may not be overweight, depending on your height. If you are short, like 1,5 - 1,58cm then you should weigh around 50 - 55 kgs. Depending on your bone structure.

If you haven''t picked up heavy items carrying young children about and hurt your back also try stretching and strengthening your core muscles. Google back pain and core strengthening exercises or pilates and you can get an idea of what to do.

Good luck!

Reply to Anne
Posted by: Ngwanakgau | 2012-01-16

I am 38yrs mom of four kids,i''M on blood pressure medicine, an my weight is 70,3 kg,now i''m expriecing back pain,what could have cause that?

Reply to Ngwanakgau