Question
Posted by: Aya | 2010/02/03

Back pain during flight

I am a 28 yr old female.
Two years ago I flew overseas ( 10hr + 12hr flights). Half way during the 1st flight I started feeling very thristy and started experiencing extreeme lower back pain. ( I was also b-feeding my 1 yr old) I could barely sit from the pain. I started drinking water esp during transit at the airport and took some painkillers. The pain finally subsided after a few hours but returned during my connecting flight but not as severe. After the flight the pain slowly went away. Two days after I felt lots of nausea and had a fever for a few hours and after the fever broke I was well again. No back pain at all during my two month stay overseas or any health complications.

However, on my way back the pain came again on the flights but not so severe as the first one.

Two yrs have passed and I never had the same pain and no health complications. I did have a baby four months ago and pregnancy was ok.

I am travelling the same route in two months time and b-feeding again. I am just very anxious of experiencing that same pain again. Could it be my kidneys esp since I never have/had any kidney problems. What should I do?

Hallo Aya
It could have been either a kidney stone or infection especially as you had a fever. You could take citrosoda preventatively and drink at least 1 glass of water every hour while flying. It could also have been due to lower back muscle spasm caused by the seat and long period of sitting. I think you should take painkillers in your hand luggage just in case.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/02/03

Hallo Aya
dr Bets

Reply to cyberdoc