Question

back pain

hi doc

I have been eating very healthy the past 7 days no carbs except the good ones like pumkin, potatoe and provita, and drinking loads of water and about 2 cups of tea a day no coffee, but now I am experiencing lower back pain on the sides and I feel bloated, what could this be?

Dear Back Pain
If you are drinking too much water you could be causing electrolyte imbalances (losses of potassium, sodium, magnesium and calcium via the kidneys), which can be dangerous and also cause water retention (this could account for the bloating). So make sure that in total you do not drink more than 2,5 litres of liquid a day (the 2 cups of tea already amount to 500 ml). If you are constipated due to the lack of dietary fibre in this diet, then this could be causing the lower back pain, so it may be a good idea to increase your dietary fibre intake by eating some high-fibre cereal and low-GI bread. However, if the pain persists then I would recommend that you have a medical checkup just to make sure that you are damaging your kidneys with this no- or low-carb diet.
Take care

1

Dear Back Pain
Take care