Question
Posted by: Anne Dyer | 2011/06/21

Back Pain

I have a very painful back, especially on the right hand side, from the shoulder all the way down and on the ribs around to the front. I also have a very painful shoulder blade. I have just had x-rays and a blood test and my doctor says everything is allright, so the pain must be muscular. I had polio when I was 12 years and wonder if this has anything to do with the pain. I do exercises three times a week. I would be appreciate any comments from you.
thanking you in anticipation.

Hi Anne

Back problems are notoriously difficult to diagnose. They can be muscular, neural or spine. You've eliminated bone, so that leaves muscle or maybe nerves, from the spine, easily impinged or affected by muscle weakness.

So while I hate to pass the buck, it's best here to see someone and have it diagnosed. In order of preference, I guess a sports physician, or a physio, or a biokineticist, to assess and help diagnose. only once that's done can you treat.

The risk is that you continue those exercises, and make it worse. Not that I think this is likely, but it's possible, and so it would be very helpful to know first what is wrong. That's a hedged answer, I'm sorry, but it's the best option for you!

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/06/30

Hi Anne

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc