Question
Posted by: B | 2011/03/09

Back pain

Dear Dr Bets

I one day a while ago suddenly had severe left upper abdominal pain that lasted for about 8 hours and then went away. After that I had this dull ache in my abdoman - left upper and it pulls through to my back in line with where the pain is in my front. It is about a 4/10 discomfort most days. My gp sent me for a gastroscopy and a scan. It showed some stomach lining iritation and a 38cm (but I think it must be a typo) sliding hernia. My pancreas was carefully checked, and the gastroineroligist (sp) put me on a PPI (40mg) a day. This has been since oct. Some days I have no pain, but I am experiencing the pain every day now again for a while. The back pain is really the worst. I am only about 10kg overweight. (I am tall and pear shaped). I exersize 3 x week for 30 min. I eat 6 SMALL meals a day.
Is there anything else I can do to alleviate this nagging discomfort?

Dear B
I think you maybe need a follow up gastroscopy and test for the bacteria H pylori - you may need antibiotics if the stomach lining is still irritated and red.

3
Posted by: Dr Bets | 2011/03/09

Try Mucaine ( antiacid and local anaesthetic)

Reply to Dr Bets
Posted by: B | 2011/03/09

Dr Bets, please also tell me what I can use as pain relief.

Reply to B
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/03/09

Dear B